2018 Summer Reading Programs for Kids
Summer Reading Programs are a great way to keep your child learning, and not experience what’s known as summer slide or summer learning loss, forgetting what they learned in class this year! We’ve compiled a roundup list of the best Summer Reading Programs for your child this summer. They are all FREE and offer great rewards.
Keep young minds active, while being rewarded and having fun! Perfect for children who get bored during summer breaks, and it’ll make going back to school easier this fall.
Experts say Summer learning loss is the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer holidays. The loss in learning varies across grade level, subject matter, and family income. A common finding across numerous studies is that on average, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer (on the same test). Summer loss for all students is estimated to be equal to about 1 month (Cooper 1996), but this varies across subject matter. -Source Wikipedia
And, don’t miss our 50+ Report Card – Rewards for Good Grades list of freebies!
Top 20 Free Summer Reading Programs
- ABC Mouse – free month of online school
- Audio Books Sync – Free summer audiobook program for teens 13+
- Barefoot Books – Free summer reading program. Kids get a free color-in membership certificate when they sign up.
- Barnes & Noble – Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal. Once this is completed, bring the journal to local Barnes & Noble between May 15 and September 3, 2018 and claim a FREE reading adventure book.
- Braum’s Book Buddy – Braum’s Ice Cream offers free ice cream for grades 1-5 during the school year
- Books-a-Million – Choose 4 books from the reading list, then record them in the reading journal and get a free item from BAM. Right now they are offering a Free pencils and pencil case!
- Cap Com Federal Credit Union – Students in grades Kindergarten through 12 can earn up to $10 ($2 per book) during Cap Com Federal Credit Union Fall, Winter and Summer Reading Programs.
- Chuck E Cheese – Kids read a book every day for 2 weeks and earn 10 FREE tokens to Chuck E Cheeses. Limit of one token award per day for each child. Food purchase is required.
- Half Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program – Download and use the reading log. Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week. Once you’ve reached 300 or more minutes, bring your log to your local HPB store to claim your Bookworm Bucks on or before 8/30/18. This is for kids 14 and younger.
- H-E-Buddy HEB Grocery Stores Summer Reading Program offers kids who read 10 books by October 1, and mail in this reading log, a free t-shirt by mail!
- Lifeway Stores – Read six books over the course of the summer and memorize six Scripture verses and be rewarded with a free book and free bible. Summer Reading Program Kickoff Party May 25—28, so get your Summer Reading Journal, pencil, and bookmark. The Reading program begins 6/1 and ends 8/31.
- Meatheads Burgers – Kids ages 13 and under read 5 books to earn a reward one lil’ meathead burger every 30 days. Print off the Reading Rewards certificate.
- Pizza Hut Book It! – This program is for K–6. When kids read, they can earn a Reading Award Certificate, redeemable for a free, one-topping Personal Pan Pizza® from Pizza Hut. Your teacher must sign you up for this program. But there’s also a homeschool option! Here’s where teachers can enroll in Pizza Hut’s BookIt Reading Program
- Pottery Barn Kids – Special surprise when your child attends 5 Weekly Storytime events.
- Reading Buddy: Free e-report “How to Transform Your Kid’s Reading over the Summer”
- Rusty Bucket Restaurant – Go to your local Rusty Bucket and pick up a Bucketeer Bookmark Tracker and start to record the books your child reads. Once they read 5 different books, they get a free kids meal!
- Scholastic Happy Camper Reading Program – Kids read and log in minutes all summer. Take weekly challenges and earn rewards! Plus, students can win a fabulous prize pack! Five (5) winners will receive a prize pack of one (1) Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set, one (1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Illustrated Edition, two (2) Harry Potter 20th Anniversary Edition Collectible Art Posters, fifty (50) Harry Potter 20 Years of Magic Tattoos, and fifty (50) Harry Potter 20 Years of Magic Bookmarks. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) is $137.
- Showcase Cinemas – Earn free admission to a select children’s film on Bookworm Wednesday’s when they present a book report at a participating Cinema de Lux, Showcase, or Multiplex Cinemas box office.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed – K-6 students who complete six hours of non-school-related reading approved by their parents and teachers are eligible for free admission to their nearest theme park.
- Sylvan Book Adventure – Free, online reading program for children in grades K-8. Kids can read books, take quizzes and get rewarded.
- TD Bank – Kids will need to read 10 books and have a new or existing TD Simple Savings account at a TD Bank to get this deal. Once they complete the summer reading program, they will receive $10 in their savings account.
- Your Local Public Library – Why not stay in your community? Most library locations offer something special for their own community, some may even offer them weekly! Check out your local libraries to find out which programs they’ll be offering. Grab your children, or even a playgroup and make an afternoon out of it! Some locations will even be offering FREE books, prizes or crafts!
We will add any new Reading Programs for kids as we find them.