23+ Free Summer Reading Program and Rewards | 2019
Summer Reading Programs are a great way to keep your child learning, and not experience what’s known as summer slide or summer learning loss, forgetting what they learned in class this year! We’ve compiled a roundup list of the best Summer Reading Programs for your child this summer. They are all FREE and offer great rewards.
Keep young minds active, while being rewarded and having fun! Perfect for children who get bored during summer breaks, and it’ll make going back to school easier this fall.
Experts say Summer learning loss is the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer holidays. The loss in learning varies across grade level, subject matter, and family income. A common finding across numerous studies is that on average, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer (on the same test). Summer loss for all students is estimated to be equal to about 1 month (Cooper 1996), but this varies across subject matter. -Source Wikipedia
And, don’t miss our 50+ Report Card – Rewards for Good Grades list of freebies!
23+ Free Summer Reading Program and Rewards | 2019
- ABC Mouse – free month of online school
- Applebee’s Bookworm Reading Club – Kids ages 10 and younger read 10 books, then record on their Bookworm Club record card. Once they read all 10 books they can get a free kid’s meal at Applebee’s (with adult meal purchase).
- Audio Books Sync – Get a Free summer audiobook program for teens 13+
- Barefoot Books – Free summer reading program. Kids get a free color-in membership certificate when they sign up.
- Barnes & Noble – Share Your School’s Required Reading List and Get a Free Tall Hot or Iced Coffee from the Cafe.
- Braum’s Book Buddy – Braum’s Ice Cream offers free ice cream for grades 1-5 during the school year
- Books-a-Million – Choose 4 books from the reading list, then record them in the reading journal and get a free item from BAM. Right now they are offering a Free drawstring backpack.
- Cap Com Federal Credit Union – Students in grades Kindergarten through 12 can earn up to $10 ($2 per book) during the Cap Com Federal Credit Union Fall, Winter and Summer Reading Programs.
- Chuck E Cheese – Kids read a book every day for 2 weeks and earn 10 FREE tokens to Chuck E Cheeses. However, there is a limit of one token award per day for each child. Also, a food purchase is required.
- Half Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program – Download and use the reading log. Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week. Once you’ve reached 300 or more minutes, bring your log to your local HPB store to claim your Bookworm Bucks on or before 8/29/19. This is for kids 14 and younger.
- H-E-Buddy HEB Grocery Stores Summer Reading Program offers kids who read 10 books by October 1, and mail in this reading log, a free t-shirt by mail! This is only for kids 3-12 who are residents of Texas.
- Lifeway Stores – Read six books and memorize six Scripture verses this summer. Once you do, you will get a free book and free bible. This Reading program begins 6/3 and ends 8/31. This is geared towards ages 1-6, but all are welcome to join!
- Meatheads Burgers – Kids ages 13 and under read 5 books to earn a reward one lil’ meathead burger every 30 days. Just print off the Reading Rewards certificate.
- Pizza Hut Book It! – This program is for K–6. When kids read, they can earn a Reading Award Certificate, redeemable for a free, one-topping Personal Pan Pizza® from Pizza Hut. Your teacher must sign you up for this program. But, there’s also a homeschool option! Here’s where teachers can enroll in Pizza Hut’s BookIt Reading Program
- Pottery Barn Kids – Receive a special surprise when your child attends 5 Weekly Storytime events.
- Reading Buddy: Free e-report “How to Transform Your Kid’s Reading over the Summer”
- Rusty Bucket Restaurant – Go to your local Rusty Bucket and pick up a Bucketeer Bookmark Tracker and start to record the books your child reads. Once they read 5 different books, then they get a free kids meal!
- Scholastic Happy Camper Reading Program – Kids read and log in minutes all summer. Take weekly challenges and earn rewards! Pre-registration begins Monday, April 8. Kids can enter minutes from Monday, May 6 until Friday, September 6. Also, new this year, at 100 million minutes total, Scholastic will donate at least 200,000 books to kids in need across the country.
- Showcase Cinemas – Earn free admission to a select children’s film on Bookworm Wednesday’s when they present a book report at a participating Cinema de Lux, Showcase, or Multiplex Cinemas box office. However, children under 6 do not need to present a book report.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed – K-6 students who complete six hours of non-school-related reading that has been approved by their parents and teachers are eligible for free admission to their nearest theme park. A
- Sylvan Book Adventure – This is a Free, online reading program for children in grades K-8. Kids can read books, take quizzes and get rewarded.
- Sync Summer Reading Program For Teens – Teens 13+ will be able to download 2 Free audiobooks a week through the OverDrive app. This program will run April 25 – August 1, 2019.
- TD Bank – Kids will need to read 10 books and have a new or existing TD Simple Savings account at a TD Bank to get this deal. Once they complete the summer reading program, they will receive $10 in their savings account.
- Your Local Public Library – Why not stay in your community? Most library locations offer something special, and some even offer them weekly! So, check your local libraries to find out which programs they’ll be offering this year. Grab your children, or even a playgroup and make an afternoon out of it! Some locations will even be offering FREE books, prizes or crafts.
We will add any new Reading Programs for kids as we find them.