I received this awesome offer… a little TOO awesome! A call to PayPal confirmed, this is actually spam! It’s a phishing attempt to get your personal information, and steal your account and money!
- How did I know? The website it linked to was not PayPal.com but rather PayPal-communication.com — not a legit PayPal site! You can see in the email below – when I hovered over the linked image, the website shows either over image or in lower left side of screen in the status bar
- I called PayPal to confirm: this is indeed a scam!
- Legitimate PayPal emails come from email@example.com
- Oddly, they even had my name from the account! 🙁
- DO NOT click the link, and do not enter your PayPal login on any site that is not exactly PayPal.com
- If you did click the link and enter your info, call PayPal right away! And, change your password immediately!
*PayPal Holiday Mystery Rewards Offer
PayPal Holiday Mystery Rewards Offer (the “Offer”) begins at 12:00:00 AM Pacific Time (PT) on December 14, 2016 and ends at 11:59:59 PM PT on December 31, 2016 (the “Offer Period”). Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, 18 years of age or older, with a U.S. PayPal account in good standing, who are recipients of an email invitation from PayPal to participate in the Offer (“Eligible Participants”). Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted.
Eligible Participants will receive a reward of $5, $10, $15 or $100 USD (the “reward”) that will be applied to their next purchase using PayPal when they participate in the Offer during the Offer Period in one of the two (2) ways stated below:
• (1) Spend a minimum of $100 USD or more during the Offer Period using your PayPal account anywhere in the U.S. that PayPal is accepted online; or
• (2) Hand print your name, address, city, state, ZIP code, date of birth, email address (associated with your PayPal account) and daytime telephone number on a 3″ X 5″ card, and mail it, in an envelope with postage affixed, to: PayPal Mystery Rewards Offer, P. O. Box 706, Plainview, NY 11803-0706. Mail-in requests must be postmarked by December 31, 2016 and received by January 6, 2017 in order to be eligible. Limit one reward per person/PayPal account during the Offer Period.Reward will be in the form of a balance that is automatically applied to your next purchase using PayPal and will be awarded no later than January 20, 2017. Subject to additional restrictions included in the Terms & Conditions, located at https://projects.promotw.com/rules/paypalholidaymysteryrewards.html [don’t go there!].
**Exclusions apply. This is an exclusive offer offered to eligible PayPal account owners. With this service you are eligible to receive up to 12 refunds per calendar year (between January 1st and December 31st), and may receive refunds of up to $30 USD per claim. PayPal reserves the right to cancel or modify part of or this entire Offer at any time without notice, for any reason in their sole discretion. See full terms and conditions.
This is not a legit offer; it is spam. STEER CLEAR! To stay safe we highly recommend that you read our Big List of Fakes and learn how to protect yourself on every single freebie you sign up for. Read also: Getting Started with Gimmie.
Stay safe online with Gimmie’s Big List of Fake Freebies to Avoid!
We are the home of the Gimmie’s Big List of Fake Freebies to Avoid. We research all samples before we share to keep you safe online. You may not realize it, but scammers and spammers are notorious for posting fake offers. There are lots of reasons why people post fake freebies, but usually it is about money. They build up a website or Facebook fanpage and then sell it for profit. Or, they take your info submitted in their alleged freebie form, and sell it to Spammers.