How gross is this?!?
A lady from New York discovered a lump of mold that looks like a octopus while drinking a popular brand of coconut water. She claims she heard a click when she opened the product, suggesting that the can was sealed properly. The coconut water was purchased at her local grocery store less than a week earlier and she claims she followed the company’s guidelines for refrigeration. The company states that the product is shelf-stable for up to a year and must be refrigerated and consumed within 24 to 48 hours after opening.
The alleged victim says she became ill after consuming the product. She says she is highly allergic to mold and has experienced vomiting, diarrhea and an asthma attack since consuming the coconut water although she immediately vomited after noticing a chunk of something go down her throat. She went to her doctor, but all tests came back negative.
Kline says she contacted the FDA, but that they typically collect only “unopened or intact products for laboratory analysis.”
Kline said that she also contacted Vita Coco, the manufacturer of the product, in regards to the mystery item. Vita Coco confirmed this claim in the following written statement but said that the company and Kline were at odds in dealing with identifying the object.
Vita Coco has asked to take the mold in for testing, even sending her a container to send it back in, but she does not plan to hand it over. “Why would I have them pick it up, when they’re going to sit there and say, ‘Oh, it’s nothing!’” she said. “I’m not stupid. I’m not going to hand over the only evidence I have.” Kline said she was seeking to identify the specimen independently, but initially was having a hard time. One third-party agency she contacted was unable to accept the object and referred her to another company
The Vita Coco made the following statement:
“Vita Coco takes product quality and food safety very seriously. We promptly addressed Ms. Kline’s inquiry and are actively working with her to investigate it since April 26, 2017. However, Ms. Kline has, since April 26, refused to send us the product in question, for safety testing. We must test the product in her possession in order the properly address her claims, and any food or beverage brand in our position would ask the same. We have offered to pick it up from her home, we have offered her the option of taking it to the FDA herself, and we have suggested third-party testing of her choice. As yet, she has agreed to none of this. We are hoping she will make a decision soon so we can continue our investigation of her claim and assist her further.” Arthur Gallego, head of communications for Vita Coco
A spokesperson for Vita Coco states that this object may be mold and that its unlikely to pose a health issue.
Spend Less. Enjoy More! We invite you to join nearly 200,000 smart, honest, fun-loving, bargain-hunting shoppers just like yourself on our Facebook Page and Free Stuff group! If we can’t get it free, no one can! We have only one rule: be nice (and have fun!)
Sources: Buzz Feed