Save Big on Internet Television & Phone Bundle
Saving BIG comes in the areas where we spend the most. One thing I’m currently seeking is a deal on my telephone, Internet and television. So, I searched all the ones I know about, asked around, and here’s what I found:
Tips for saving big on television service:
- Don’t get too comfortable. Switching services may seem scary, but chances are you’ll save a bundle if you do.
- Bundle up. Literally, bundling your services could help save over having them separate. But don’t be too quick to fall into a bundle either!
- Shop around. Especially with all the incentives for new customers. I actually just went from a bundle to three different providers and I’m saving over $100 a month because of it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. You can also call your current provider and tell them you’re thinking about switching away from them, to let them bid for your business. A friend just did this with DirecTV and they gave her a great deal to stay with them.
- Think outside the tube. Most providers have some sort of referral program if your friends sign up. This can mean month(s) of free services for you, and them!
Cable vs. DISH
If you ask 100 people what they prefer, you’ll probably get about a 50/50 split between cable and satellite television options. I’m not here to say one is better than the other. I’ve had both, and each has pros and cons. But I do highly suggest that you shop around and find the best deal for your area. The super helpful sales people will answer any questions you have, but make sure to have your questions thought out beforehand or they might try to distract you with seemingly good deals that “make up for” their extra fees.
Things to consider:
- How much for extra rooms?
- Am I leasing equipment or is it really mine for free? I’ve learned that the “free” equipment isn’t really free when you have to pay $23/month for 24 months (a whopping $552) for a device that normally costs $449. (Although chat help tried to make it seem like that was a steal!)
- Are there extra fees for things like HD and DVR? Even companies that claim you get free HD may tack on charges for their HD boxes.
- How long do I have to commit? 1 year? 2 years?
- What can I get for opting for paperless billing, or auto billpay?
- Is the equipment warrantied, and for how long? Does that cost extra?
Click banner below to check prices on Cable TV in your area. By bundling services you can save over $240!
In addition to the great savings, enjoy FREE weekend previews on some of the most popular channels like Showtime throughout the year.
I had DISH Network for years and liked it. But when the fancy new AT&T U-Verse came to my neighborhood I jumped on the bandwagon. Now, I’m ready to jump back off. 🙂
I will say their tech support was a bit frustrating, but thankfully we didn’t have to call them often. Did you know you can request to speak to someone in your country when you call tech support? That has been a lifesaver for me since I have a hard enough time hearing on the phone.
DISH Network packages start at $24.99/month for the first year, and they’ll give you 3 months of HBO and Showtime free when you join. That’s a pretty good savings over the 2-year contract. But as with anything, be vigilant when comparing prices. Consider that you have to pay to have extra boxes, and even though they claim “Free HD” you’ll get hit with a $17/month fee if you get two Duo Room DVRs (they power TVs in two rooms, and share DVR capabilities). Your first “box” is free, and the fee for additional (regular) boxes is $6/room.
Get $50 Credit for signing up! DISH Network has a referral program that’s a little more complicated than DirecTV, and doesn’t pay as well. When a friend signs up for DISH using a unique Referral Gift Card number provided to you by DISH, the existing customer receives a $50 credit off their bill ($5/mo off for 10 months) and the new customer receives a $50 credit off their first bill.
DirecTV – Current Specials save $350 on NFL Sunday Ticket + $100 Gift
NFL Sunday Ticket – Now included at no extra charge. New approved customers only. (click here for sale)
NEW! Now included at no extra charge! NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ To-Go — Get every game every Sunday — on your TV, computer, cell phone, or iPad®!
If I’m not mistaken, NFL Sunday Ticket costs $350?? That’s an amazing savings!!
DirecTV offers packages starting at $29.99 a month for over 150 channels with a 2-year contract. You’ll save $31 a month for the first year, then it goes back to the regular price, which is still not a bad deal. Or, for $34.99/month you can get 210 channels plus Whole Home DVR+HD which is normally $20 a month. You’ll get 3 months of free HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime. Installation and equipment is free. Your first receiver has no monthly charge; any extra rooms up to 6 have a $6/month charge. So, if you have three rooms you’ll pay $12 a month more.
DirecTV also has a referral program where you can get $100 credit for referring a friend, AND your friend can get $100 credit when they join too!