Sunday, June 18, 2017 is Father’s Day.
Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there, and anyone who is deserving of the title.
Father’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. It’s the time when we can reflect on great dads who shape us into the adults we become. A great dad might spend all their time with their kids, or they might have to spend more time working than they want – it doesn’t require 24/7 time spent with your child to be a good influence. The point is that they make an impact. In my humble opinion, great dads teach their kids what’s important, what’s good, what’s right and how to prioritize those things to be a good person.
When I met my husband, he was raising his two sons by himself. I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for a great dad. Probably because mine is the very best person I know! Yeah, I’m a full-fledged Daddy’s Girl. But, not in a frilly way. My dad taught me to fix stuff and not be afraid to get dirty. He’s smart, talented (did I mention the man can SING!?) He was singing publicly since he was a kid. He even had several offers from record companies and promoters to be rich and famous. He was always in a band, either Country music or “Country Rock” as we used to call it. Instead of pursuing fame, in his words, he “got married instead.” He’s a family man in every sense. In his world, family comes first – more so now than ever with 9 grandchildren! I can’t even begin to tell you the extent of his generosity toward strangers. And, animals!! They love him almost as much as he loves them. There’s one heartbroken giraffe that we left at a theme park in Florida who could not stop chewing on my dad’s beard. hahaha. But seriously, the man is good at everything. He’s not perfect, but he’s sure a good dad. His are some pretty big shoes to fill.
I had the privilege of knowing another great man who happened to be a lot like my dad. It was uncanny how much they had in common. He, too, was in a Country Western band! He played bass guitar, just like my dad. (All the way down to having the same guitar, same year & model – everything!!) He was my father-in-law and he passed away last year, unexpectedly. We were able to be with him for a very short week before we lost him. He called me his angel. When I had to say goodbye, I told him now he could be mine. Why am I writing this with tears all the way down to my toes? If nothing else, I hope you take this away with you: cherish your dad. Spend as much time together as possible, and make Father’s day a tribute to the wonderful men in your life. After all, you didn’t get this awesome without a little help! 😉
Here’s a list I’ll be adding to as I find more things. If you know of any, please comment below!
Father’s Day Freebies
Unless otherwise noted, all freebies are on Father’s Day. Don’t forget to check out all the restaurants that give you free food for signing up!
We will add to it when more things are announced.
Dads Eat Free
- American Steakhouse – Free dessert for dad
- Arooga’s – Dads eat free with purchase (10 locations in Central Pennsylvania)
- Beef ‘O’ Brady’s – Dad’s eat free with purchase
- Bertucci’s – Coupon for free meatballs for a future visit
- BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse – Complimentary Pint Glass to all fathers while supplies last.
- Caribou Coffee – Check with your local Caribou for Fathers Day specials
- Champps Americana – Dad gets a Free Burger with purchase of an entree
- Chick-fil-A – Check with your local Chick fil A to see what Fathers Day special they have
- Denny’s – Check with your local Dennys for any Fathers Day specials they may have
- Firehouse Subs – Fathers Day offer will be sent out via their Copy That! newsletter.
- First Watch – Free bag of Royal Cup coffee and $20 bonus bucks when you buy $100 gift card
- Flemings Steakhouse – Take Dad and grab the three-course Prix Fixe dinner menu featuring our Prime Tomahawk steak for just $85.
- Fogo de Chão Brazilian Steakhouse – Dine on Fathers Days and get a free Dining Card good for one complimentary lunch or dinner on their next visit
- Frisch’s Big Boy – Free Father’s Day Breakfast Bar with purchase of breakfast bar, any sandwich or mini meal
- Graeter’s – Check with your local Graeters for Father’s Day special!
- Harley Davidson in Waco, TX – Free Fish Fry for Dad June 17
- Hooters – Buy 10 wings and get 10 free on Fathers Day, June 18
- IHOP – Check with your local IHOP for Fathers Day specials.
- IKEA – Free Breakfast for Dad on Father’s Day
- JJ’s Red Hots – Free signature Hot Dog with purchase
- Krystal Burger – Club Krystal members get a free Spicy Chik or regular Chik with purchase
- Long John Silvers – Check on their Facebook page for any Fathers Day special announcement
- McAlister’s Deli Tea – Check with your local McAlisters for their Fathers Day special
- Outback Steakhouse – $10 bonus card for $50 in gift cards
- Pasta House – Free order of Spaghetti with meat sauce & Free piece of Cheesecake with paying adult.
- PDQ – Free combo meal with purchase
- Penn Station East Coast Subs –
- Pluckers Wing House – Free meal (entree, side, and non-alcoholic beverage, up to $15 value) to any dad that takes a picture with their child/children (regardless of age) at Pluckers and posts that photo to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the hashtag #Pluckers. (TX)
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse – All dads dining here will receive a complimentary $25 dining card to use on a future visit.( dining card is valid 6/19/17 – 8/27/17 )
- Shoney’s – Special holiday food bar. You can also enter for a $500 Home Depot gift card.
- Spaghetti Warehouse – Free lasagna or spaghetti for dad. And, Dad can win a $100 or $50 Warehouse Gift Card in their third weekly contest! Post your entry in link.
- Tap House Grill – Free meal for dad with purchase of adult and kids meal. Check with your local Tap House for participation.
- TCBY – Free treat for dad on Fathers Day, June 18
- The Pasta House – Free order of Spaghetti with meat sauce and a Free cheesecake cupcake on Father’s Day with a paying adult.
- Tijuana Flats – Dads get a Free taco and beer
- Tom & Chee – Free Grilled Cheese Donuts for Dads with regular purchase.
- Tony Roma’s – Will have a special menu for dads. Check with your local Tony Romas for details.
- Wahoo’s Tacos – Free entree for Dad (must have child accompany them)
- Wienerschnitzel – Check with your local restaurant for any Fathers Day specials they may have
- World of Beer – Free select draught or $5 off for dads on Father’s Day.
- Cameron Park Zoo – free admission for all fathers and grandfathers accompanied by their children or grandchildren
- Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens – Free Admission for dads on Father’s day
- Dover Skating Center – Dads skate free June 18 (does not include skate rental)
- Harley-Davidson Museum Milwaukee – Dads and grandfathers by offering free admission on Father’s Day with a paid admission.
- i.d.e.a Museum – Fathers receive free admission on Sunday, June 18
- Imagination Station – Free admission for dad June 18
- Lego Discovery Land – free admission for dad with purchase of a child ticket (AZ)
- Miami Seaquarium – Free admission for dad (June 12- June 18: Bring a Father’s Day card to our marine animal dads’ sea lions Ace and Bud, and dolphin dads Indigo and Noel, dad will receive free admission to the park.)
- Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum – Free Admission for Dads & Grandpas!
- Stepping Stones Museum – One Free Adult Admission for Any Caregiver on June 18th
- Six Flags – free admission for Dads with season-ticket holders
- The Greater Cleveland Aquarium – Free admission to fathers on Father’s Day
- The Museum of Flight – Admission is free to all dads (accompanied by children) on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18.
- The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium – free admission to all dads that visit on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18, with the purchase of at least one child’s ticket.
- Zoos – Free admission for Dads at many participating zoos, check with your local Zoo!
- Don’t forget: Check out the Gimmie Weekend Update every week for upcoming events.
Last-Minute Shopping Help
Are you clamoring to find a gift? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered (and we won’t judge!) 🙂
- Carabba’s – Buy $50 in gift cards you’ll get $50 in free bonus cards
- Old Navy – All Mens clothes up to 50% off.
- Omaha Steaks – Mail order has Fathers specials with many items at below half price.